The SEO by the Sea blog, in San Diego, California, keeps an eye on information directly from the search engines such as patent filings and whitepapers, to:
- Share some of the assumptions and processes behind how search engines work
- Keep an eye on how search engines rank web pages, and
- Determine whether the search engines might have some surprises for us in the future.
My name is Bill Slawski, and I am the president and founder of SEO by the Sea. I have been engaged in professional SEO and internet marketing consulting since 1996.
SEO by the Sea provides SEO services to help make it easier for sites to be found on the Web, and easier for those sites to be used once they’ve been found. Those services are backed by:
- Years of experience
- Research into search engine patents and white papers
- Experimentation, and
- Studying the way that web sites and search engines interact
SEO by the Sea uses professional, ethical, and proactive approaches to help web sites and their intended audiences find each other. See my SEO Testimonials page.
The SEO by the Sea blog was originally started in 2005 to inform people about a grass roots gathering of people interested in internet marketing and search engines in Havre de Grace, Maryland. I was watching sails bobbing up and down on the Chesapeake Bay when the name sprang into my head.
The site has since evolved into a place where I keep track of search related research and patents, and write about search engine optimization and other topics.
SEO by the Sea is committed to offering information as accurately and helpfully as possible, while remaining civil as well as fair and impartial.
About Bill Slawski, President of SEO by the Sea, Inc.
I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English from the University of Delaware, and a Juris Doctor Degree from Widener University School of Law. I worked for the highest level trial Court in Delaware, Superior Court of Delaware, for 14 years as a court manager and administrator, and as a technologist/management analyst.
In the mid 1990s, while I was working for the Court, I helped a couple of friends put together a website for an online business they were starting. One had been seeking a new employment direction while the other had an empty office in the house he was renting for his legal practice. I continued to update the site and increase its visibility online for more than a decade. In 1996, I started working on and promoting other sites as well.
I found myself intrigued by search engines, by usability, and by how people navigate around and explore web pages. I continued my efforts performing SEO and internet marketing part time until 2005 when I left the Court to work for an online marketing agency full time. Since then, I have worked on a wide variety of sites, including pages for Harvard Business School, Johns Hopkins University, The American Psychological Association, Baltimore.org, Zurich NA, Comcast, and Fearnet helping them to be more easily found on the Web.
I’ve also been a founder and administrator for one of the best known forums about internet marketing and usability at Cre8asite Forums, as well as a contributing author for a couple of the most well known sites online about search engine marketing, Search Engine Watch and Search Engine Land. I have also written articles for the print publications Website Magazine, Search Marketing Standard, and Target Marketing.
I’ve had the opportunity to speak at industry conferences such as Search Engine Strategies (SES), Search Marketing Expo (SMX), SearchLove, Advanced Local U (keynote speaker), Digital Marketing for Business Conference, SemTechBiz , Webmaster World’s Pubcon , and the Internet Summit in Raleigh, about topics such as search engine algorithms, universal and blended search, personalization in search, search and social, duplicate content problems, semantic search and knowledge bases.
SEO by the Sea is located in Carlsbad, California.
I look forward to hearing from visitors to this site, and welcome any suggestions or ideas for the blog, and any inquiries from people who might be interested in working together.
Please feel free to contact me. My contact information is:
SEO by the Sea
2352 Caringa Way, Unit B
Carlsbad, California 92009
- New York Search Engine Strategies Conference on February 28, 2006 on Search Algorithm Research
- San Jose Search Engine Strategies Conference on August 8, 2006 on Search Algorithm Research
- Pubcon Las Vegas on November 14, 2006 on Duplicate Content Issues
- San Jose Search Engine Strategies Conference on August 20, 2007 on Universal & Blended Vertical Search
- Pubcon Las Vegas on December 4, 2007 on SEO 101 – The Timeless and Classic Hits
- Pubcon Las Vegas on December 4, 2007 on Universal and Personal Search – This Changes Everything
- Internet Summit, Raleigh, NC, on November 16, 2011, on Next Level SEO: Social Media Integration
- SMX East 2012, New York, on October 2, 2012, on Google Will not go Gentle into that Good Night: Project Glass
- SMX East 2012, New York, on October 3, 2012, on From Authorship To Authority: Why Claiming Your Identity Matters
- Advanced LocalU Keynote, Baltimore,on March 9, 2013, on The Future of Search
- SEO Event at the Search Church, Philadelphia,on March 15, 2013, on Search and Social Patents for 2012 and Beyond
- Digital Marketing for Business, Raleigh, NC,on April 15, 2013, on The Future of Search
- SearchLove Boston, on May 20, 2013, on The Future of Search
- SemTech, San Jose, California, August 19-21, 2014, On Semantic Search
- SMX East, New York, On Sept. 30-Oct 2, 2014 On Hummingbird and the Entity Revolution
- Pubcon, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 7-9, 2014, On Semantic Web, Knowledge Graph, and Other Changes to SERPS
- SMX West, San Jose, California, March 3-6, 2015 On The Growth Of Direct Answers: How Should SEOs React?
- Pubcon, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 5-8, 2015, On Evolution of Search
- Pubcon, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 10-13, 2016, On Knowledge Panels: Rich Snippets and Semantic Markup
- NextCon16, Scottsdale, Arizona, November 14-16, 2016, On Excelling at Organic Search & Roundtable: The Marketing Leadership Power (almost) Hour
Cemper’s Link Building & SEO Podcast: EN33 Bill Slawski
White Hat SEO: AMA Session with Bill Slawski (Episode 1)
Edge of the Web: EP 240: The Latest Google Patents w/Bill Slawski | Edge of the Web
Chase Reiner: 2017 SEO Interview With Bill Slawski
Easy Grouper: Bill Slawski: The Mobile Pro Project
Search Engine Journal: Putting Together an SEO Audit: An Interview with Bill Slawski
Business Growth Digital Marketing: SEO expert interview with Bill Slawski – Google Patents, Knowledge Graph and more!
Web Pro News: SEO Vet Bill Slawski On Google’s Knowledge And Answers
Search Marketing Standard: Patent Guru: How Bill Slawski Gets SEO Advice Directly From Search Engines (Part 1)
Search Marketing Standard: Patent Guru: How Bill Slawski Gets SEO Advice Directly From Search Engines (Part 2)
SEO Copy Writing: SEO by the Sea’s Bill Slawski discusses the Semantic Web
Hitreach: Talking Patents with Bill Slawski
Stone Temple Consulting: Search Engine Patents and Panda
Optilocal: Interview with Bill Slawski
Search Talk Live: Google Patent and SEO Expert Bill Slawski